Pregnancy is such a special time in any woman’s life. To grow a human being is an incredible experience, but that’s not to say it can’t be difficult and tiring in the process. Your body goes through many different changes when you are growing a baby and one of these not-so-pleasant side effects is the swelling that can result. Edema, or swelling of the joints during pregnancy, is caused by reduced circulation and from the pressure of your growing uterus. It can make getting around a lot more difficult and can also cause pain and discomfort.
Here are some tips to help you reduce swelling in pregnancy:
- Stay off your feet as much as possible, while also making sure you are going for lots of walks to get that circulation flowing.
- Try and elevate your legs while you are sitting down to increase the blood flow.
- Avoid tight socks and stockings which will only aid in cutting off your circulation.
- Drink lots of water as this will help to flush out any excess sodium that may be contributing to the swelling. It is recommended to have about 8 to 10 glasses each day.
- Enjoy a pregnancy massage. Milk Day Spa can help alleviate the pain and discomfort caused by Edema by working on your tissues and increasing the blood flow around your body. It is not only a relaxing way to combat your swelling but very practical too. To book in your next pregnancy massage, contact Milk Day Spa today.